Saturday, October 5, 2024

My guide to deal with an Unfair Layoff



 I thought I had the perfect job - and I did. Unfortunately my bosses, all four (!) of them were far from perfect, quite the opposite. So yesterday I was served a rather bitter cup of tea, that of my -undair I think- lay off... Thankfully I kept my cool, my composure and made this guide to navigate the choppy waters of an unfair layoff.


Step 1: Let Myself to Feel 

 Yes, I could see in the last couple of weeks bullying and cold shoulder that this was coming. In a way I felt relieved that they ended it. Yet, when one of the few colleagues who was a kind person burst to tears when they heard the news of my layoff, I felt my eyes watering too. It's okay to cry, or even scream. It's essential to acknowledge and process those emotions before moving forward. Think of it as a necessary pit stop on your journey to finding your new happily ever after.


Step 2: Gather My Brave and Brilliant Self

No matter how they tried to spin the story, I took a few deep breaths, and reminded myself of what I am capable. In our case, heavy micromanagement had an impact on my talent, but that didn't mean that it disappeared. The talent is there always, waiting for people who can see it and appreciate it! Before I left, I pondered about all the amazing things I've accomplished.



Step 3: Rely on my Superstar Support Network On

I Reached out to friends and family for words of encouragement and support. Sometimes, all we need is someone to talk to or share some sage advice. Many of them have navigated similar situations and came out stronger on the other side. And all of them new what I had done for that job.


Step 4: The  Master Plan for My Next Adventure

We all have our dreams, those we are afraid to pursue because an 9 to 5 job seems more convenient. Well, I decided to get out of my comfort zone, after all I had to get out of it, I had no choice. So I sat down with a cuppa (or two), and brainstormed all the possibilities! Now my own office is a WIP, at least in my head! But who knows? Maybe next year I ll  be blogging a success story.


Step 5: Believe in Oneself and one's Abilities 

This applied to all of us, whether we got fired or still work. We should always remember that we are incredibly capable and talented . We should trust in our abilities to find an even better opportunity that suits us perfectly.


It is a new journey, for me and it seems very intimidating. One that will have setbacks as they are an inevitable part of life. But it's how one responds to them that truly matters. Strong is not a new word for me. But today I think I realized its meaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?